Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Wednesday Night Suppers

Wednesday Nights have been one of my favorite nights for a number of years. Our Wednesday nights suppers are a time when we do what we do best as United Methodists: eat! But it is more than that. Wednesday nights are laid back; there is not the hurry or the formalism of Sunday with all our worship services. I have the opportunity to see folks from the 8:15, 9:s0 and both of the 11:00 services. We are truly inter-generational on Wednesday nights - often there are people from 3 or 4 generations sitting at the same table.

Allen Richburg and his folks discovered the secret: it's about having excellent food and excellent programs. Cindy Blocksidge and her folks have provided outstanding bible studies and programs. It's great to just come, eat, and sit around the tables and talk, even if we're not going on to studies or prayer meeting.

We're regularly running around 200 people on Wednesday night, but I hope we'll soon have it up to 300. Some folks have asked if we can serve until 7, so we're looking into that. Our goal is to make it as easy as possible for folks to be a part of this great time. Maybe we'll be able to make reservations on line when our new website is launched at the end of this month. I'll have to talk with our techies about that.

Finally, thanks for checking out the blog. You can check out our stats on the right hand side of the page. But it looks like I need to change the time zone: it's telling me it's 12:20 tomorrow morning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful to have church dinners back and the food is plentiful, reasonable and tasty. Thanks to all who make this possible. We love this evening to socialize with church friends and work in dinner before children's choir practice.

Anonymous said...

I have loved wednesday night suppers as long as I can remember. I love the way you can socialize while being in a place where you can worship god. Keep updating your blog, I love!!