Thursday, October 18, 2007

Autumn

Fall is without a doubt my favorite season, and always has been. There's something about the cool nights and warm days, the fallen leaves skittering across the pavement, and the smell of woodsmoke in the air that evokes memories of earlier times.

Fall is all about reminiscence to me. There is just something so evocative about the season of things past.

And of course there is nowhere better to be than in the mountains!

Today I traveled to the North Georgia mountains with our Older Adult ministry. We stopped to buy apples, eat meals, enjoy the scenery, and be with one another. It was one of the most relaxing days I have had in quite a while.

As soon as I get the group picture I will post it on the blog.

While I am at it, let me say a few words about our older members at McEachern. These are the folks on whose shoulders the current church stands. These men and women came to our congregation when it was much smaller, and were the catalyst for many of the missions and ministries we have today. They are our institutional memory and have the wisdom of folks who have "been there, done that!" I was proud to be asked to be part of their group today - it was an honor to travel, visit, and eat with them.

1 comment:

Scoot said...

I remember driving up to the North GA mountains with my Grandmother to buy apples in the fall and look at the leaves. I enjoyed the scenery and the apples but I loved her stories. I'm afraid that I've spent so much time with our young people over the years that I've forgotten how fun our "Just Older Youth" can be!