Monday, October 8, 2007

In Memoriam

Yesterday during most of our worship services we prayed for Carole Smith.

I first met Carole when I was the Youth Minister at Campground UMC in Marietta, now East Cobb UMC. Jimmy and Carole have two daughters, the youngest of whom was in my youth group. I got to know the Smith's well during that time, and later returned to perform the marriage ceremonies of both girls. I regularly saw Jimmy and Carol as we would return to Marietta to visit family during the holidays and other special events.

A few hours after we prayed for her, Carole lost her battle with cancer, but won the race and entered the presence of Christ.

There are several thoughts that I have about all this. First, how good it is to have the kind of connections with friends through the Church that last through decades. It is comforting beyond measure to have a faith that reminds us of resurrection, and the assurance that we are not separated forever by physical death.

It's also good to know that we are willing to pray for people we do not know. I am able to be with the family and let them know that they are not alone, and that there are plenty of people thinking of, and praying for, them today.

I guess what I am saying is this: it's good to be the Church. When we are at our best we are there to support and love one another in the bad times, and rejoice in the good times. And we are there in the in-between times as well.

Lift up a prayer for Carole's family today. And while you're at it, give thanks that God has given us a church family at McEachern.

No comments: