Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's Resolution


My New Year's Resolution is to start back to running and get back in shape.

For those of you who know me well it may surprise you that I have not been running. Running became a passion for me over thirteen years ago. At my peak I had run 7 marathons and countless 5 and 10k's and half-marathons. Three and a half years ago I began to slow down, and was unable to run as far as I had in the past. I could still click off seven minute miles, but that was much slower than I had run in the past and I could not sustain it for the 10-20 miles that I had at my peak.

My annual stress echo cardiogram showed why - my mitral valve was failing. Within a week of diagnosis I had open-heart surgery to repair the valve. I thought I would be back up and running in a matter of weeks. The truth is that I did not even feel human for 11 months. But I started from scratch and worked my way up to 12 miles before being called to active duty in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

I continued to run in Iraq, but that was somewhat counter productive. I would be a few miles into a run, and mortars would start falling. You can't really get into the groove if you have to stop and run for cover every few miles. Then I had a physical, and discovered I had high levels of CO2 in my bloodstream. Where I served had exhaust from generators, trucks, aircraft, and, oh yeah, an open burn pit the size of New Jersey. My doc suggested I run inside on a treadmill.

So, I'm starting over from scratch. This afternoon Chris and I went out for a mile run. Not far, and not fast, but my first run in three months. My goal is to start slow and easy and build from there. Remembering the acronym SAM (specific, achievable, and measurable) for goals I will set my first goal as the completion of a 10K by this spring. I hope to be able to run it fast enough to be seeded in this year's Peachtree Road Race.

I'm telling you this so you can hold me accountable - that's a good spiritual word. So every time you see me, ask me if I'm keeping my New Year's Resolution!

Tell me yours and I'll be your accountability partner.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just found your blog well both of them. I was reading something credited to you and was checking it out so Googled your name. I enjoy so much all you have had to say. I have a son that is in basic training in the Army. It is wonderful to know what great Spiritual leaders the Army has. I enjoy your blog very much. Oh yes the story I was checking on was one you wrote about the soliders singing the end of the National Anthem in a movie theater wow!. You are great blessing to us all.

Anonymous said...

Jim,

Are you the author of the
'From a Chaplain in Iraq' that is all over the Web about the troops watching a superman movie and standing at attention during the playing of the national anthem. You served where the incident was supposed to take place. (I have a pix of Obama NOT putting his hand on his heart during the same.) I have traced the source of this article to:
http://www.specialforces.com/newsletter/2007_10/

I put stuff on my Web site, but always verify them first unless it is on my mostly funny "Stuff we didn't delete" page.

You can see another page on my large hobby site for folks in the military titled, "For Those Who Serve," where I would put the letter.

http://www.freedomisknowledge.com/troop/troop.htm

But again, I want to verity it first. See the special forces Web site and the article 'From a Chaplain in Iraq' to see all the content of the letter.

One of my three sons served in the Marines in Afghanistan, but had early release due to ADHD. My wife and I are retired to WNC a few hours north of your church.

Best regards and TKS,

Gary Kallback
Weaverville, NC 28787
gkallback@aol.com

Adam said...

Hi Jim,

As a double heart valve replacement patient... Ooooooohhhhh, can I relate.

My recovery was riddled with faulty expectations about recovery. They told me 6-8 weeks. I didn't get back on my surfboard for 13 months.

There were so many issues with my recovery, I posted a website and wrote a book to help future patients.

FYI, here is my story:

Heart Valve Surgery Recovery

Cheers,

Adam

Floridora said...

Dear Jim,
You and Adam (above) have raised my spirits unmeasurably . I had a double bypass and aortic valve replacement just two months ago. I just haven't been able to get any of the old pep back and have been starting to worry about it. From you two I have gotten the idea that I should be patient. But patience is hard to come by when you are 82 years old.
Both of you -- Keep up the running!iqvelaz