Tuesday, May 27, 2008

What I'm Reading

I love to read. I usually have several books going at a time - some for work, some for professional growth, some for fun. So, here's what I'm reading now:

12 Keys to an Effective Church. This is actually a "re-read". I used Ken Callahan's material when I was the pastor at Haygood to get our visioning kick-started. It was great for that church, so now we're using it at McEachern. We are also reading 12 Keys to an Effective Church Leaders Guide.

5 Practices of Fruitful Congregations by Robert Schnase. You've heard me mention this book in my sermons and the Senior Pastor letter. Allen and I will be preaching from this book next Fall. The five practices are Radical Hospitality, Passionate Worship, Intentional Faith Development, Risk-taking Mission and Service and Extravagant generosity. I encourage you to pick up a copy and read it yourself.

The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. Yes, I'm a Dave Ramsey freak. I read his Financial Peace Revisited last Fall. My kids hate riding in the car with me during the afternoons when his show is on because it's all I'll listen to. We'll be starting Financial Peace University at the church this Fall.

RealLivePreacher.com. Yes, that's the name of a book, as well as a website. Gordon Atkinson began writing (and writing well) on his personal blog. The essays have been collected and published. This book was a gift from my friend and colleague, Dr. Phil Schroeder. It's a great read.

What are you reading?

3 comments:

Rachel Peters said...

When I'm not reading stuff for school, I'm working my way through two books right now:

Ambient Findability: What we find changes who we become. It's all about how we search and find things in our lives. The focus is mostly on technology, because the book is geared towards Information Architects and usability experts. However, it's full of interesting, non-technical research too.

Orthodoxy. Classic book by Chesterton. It was recommended to me by a friend. He claims it's even better than Mere Christianity (one of my favorites). We'll see.

Anonymous said...

Check out the book titled, "The Shack" By William Young!

Anonymous said...

My favorite this summer has been "Searching for God...knows what" -- Donald Miller (Blue Like Jazz). The Lord through this book has invited me to enter into a relationship with Him that does not involve steps, formulae, strategy, etc., but does involve getting to know him in a simple, loving way. I'll never read the Scriptures the same way again!