Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Lenten Experiment: Bible Study


Today marks the first Sunday in the Lenten season. We began the season last Wednesday with a great Ash Wednesday service. During Lent I am preaching on the spiritual disciplines. During my sermon this morning I mentioned several study bibles and one "looser" translation.
The looser translation that I mentioned is The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language by Eugene Petersen. You can buy one of the cheaper editions at Cokesbury (the retail arm of The United Methodist Publishing House) at http://www.cokesbury.com/forms/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=569878
The two study Bibles I metioned are The New Oxford Annotated Bible http://www.cokesbury.com/forms/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=392577. This is the bible I used for study for many years, and I use a leather bound copy for preaching. However, since the HarperCollins Study Bible has been published that is the bible I have used for study. You can order it at http://www.cokesbury.com/forms/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=385829
Most of these bibles are also found at your local bookseller. You can find nicer versions of these bibles (hardbound or leatherbound) at Cokesbury, Amazon, or your local book store.
Happy reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just sent a copy of your May 14, 2007 blog from Iraq. Thought you might like to know that it is still making the rounds on the web (and bringing tears to many eyes). I got caught up in your website being a member of a United Methodist Church in Homewood. I love how you write and find your entries very entertaining and informational.

Jim Higgins said...

A United Methodist Church in Homewood? That would not be St. Andrew UMC in Homewood, IL by any chance, would it?